Saturday, January 9, 2010

Can someone be a Christian and Agnostic?

I wondered this for years... and many others may as well. If you're anything like me, you believe that there is a God... You may even believe that Christ is somehow divinely related to God, but you may feel so overwhelmed by the logical questions that come with such a belief that you've chosen to suspend judgment and seek truth. That's what I did. One day, I accepted the fact that my questions about God, the Bible, history, and science couldn't be answered through a dogmatic system, and I embraced that there were several things I simply don't know and can't know. Without realizing it, I had embraced a sense of agnosticism along with a whole new spiritual journey. But what does that mean?

At the heart of the word "agnostic" is the root word "gnosis" which means "to know." The prefix "ag-" means "not" or "the absence of." This means that the word "agnostic" means "to not know" or "unknown / unknowable."

Therefore, a Christian Agnostic is someone who believes in God, follows Christ, but acknowledges his or her inability to know or fully understand various things about God. This kind of agnosticism is often spawned after learning something that doesn't coincide with a preconceived religious idea. In my case, it started several years ago with a college course in which I learned about the myth of Mithras and the contradictions that exist in our Bible. I started to wonder if it was possible that God might exist in a context other than the one I'd accepted my entire life. In a series of personal moments of reflection, a life-changing journey ensued.

So, while it may be impossible to believe in God and be an atheist, I believe it is absolutely possible to be a Christian and be agnostic. In fact, it's a fascinating and liberating journey for those who aren't afraid to throw tradition aside in favor of approaching God in context of the history of humanity, the discoveries within science and with an open mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment